Wellcome to Villa Todesco
How to reach Villa Todesco FROM HIGHWAY A4, EXIT: PADOVA OVEST, DIRECTION: NORTH - LIMENA -TAVO – ARSEGO – VILLA DEL CONTE. AT THE ROUNDABOUT TAKE THE THIRD ROAD ON THE RIGHT – THE FIRST BUILDING ON THE LEFT IN VIA CA’ DOLFIN N. 42 IS “VILLA TODESCO”.
*FROM STRADA VALSUGANA, DIRECTION: EAST, S. GIORGIO IN BOSCO – VILLA DEL CONTE – S. GIUSTINA IN COLLE. 200 METRES BEFORE THE ROUNDABOUT ON THE RIGHT, IN VIA CA’ DOLFIN 42, LIES THE ENTRY TO “VILLA TODESCO”.
*FROM STRADA DEL SANTO, DIRECTION: WEST, S. GIUSTINA IN COLLE – VILLA DEL CONTE. AT THE ROUNDABOUT TAKE THE SECOND ROAD ON THE RIGHT, THE FIRST BUILDING ON THE LEFT IN VIA CA’ DOLFIN N. 42 IS “VILLA TODESCO”.
*FROM STRADA POSTUMIA, CASTELFRANCO - CITTADELLA, DIRECTION: SOUTH – S. MARTINO DI LUPARI – VILLA DEL CONTE – S. GIUSTINA IN COLLE. 200 METRES BEFORE THE ROUNDABOUT ON THE RIGHT, IN VIA CA’ DOLFIN 42, LIES THE ENTRY TO “VILLA TODESCO”.
Azienda agrituristica Villa Todesco
Via Cà Dolfin 42
Villadelconte (PD) Italy
Phone +39 335 6038696
Villa del Conte is 10 minutes from Cittadella old walled city, 20 minutes from Castelfranco Veneto and Piazzola sul Brenta ( with the famous Villa Contarini), 30 minutes from Bassano del Grappa and Asolo, 30 minutes from Marostica (ancient fortified city, the place of the historic game chess), 40 minutes from the Colli Euganei, 40 minutes from Treviso and Vicenza.
Venice is easily reached by train from Piombino Dese, which is 12 km from Villa del Conte and is approximately 10 minutes with a car..
Bed and Breakfast Surrounded by a large park, Villa Todesco provides its guests with pleasant moments of relaxation within a haven of nature and tranquillity. Attention to detail, functional services and facilities, the delicate politeness of the owners add a special touch to your stay in the Villa.
Accommodation in Villa Todesco means having the possibility to choose between various high-quality apartments, arranged on two floors connected by an elevator.
The apartments are elegantly furnished and fully accessorized: fully-equipped kitchen (dishes and silverware included), cooking area with glass ceramic plate, fridge, LCD television, bathroom with shower, fly screens, air conditioning, underfloor heating.
Linen, including bedclothes and towels, is provided.
The apartments can be rented with or without the use of the kitchen and a convenient breakfast service is available on demand, too.
Long stays are possible in certain apartments, at the discretion of the Direction..
The Villa and the Park The area was created as a rural estate in the 17th century, being included in the 18th century cartography.
The second half of the century saw the estate as a union of two entities: on the west, the manor, with its rectangular layout (previous documents show it was square, between 1785 and 1809), and on the east a square stonehouse. Afterwards the estate was modified, at first around 1800 with the purchase by Paolo Zara, who declared the villa to the land register as a “holiday house” in 1839. The following architectural transformation, in 1843, saw the demolition of the residence, moving southwards the main entrance and the building of a new residence on the east of the stonehouse.
In 1866 the frescoes and flooring are completed, including marvellous diversified Venetian terrazzo floorings.
The main building, facing southwards, has two floors (ground floor and first floor) and a loft, illuminated through rectangular windows. The main entrance on the ground floor is trabeated, sided by windows, trabeated as well, repeated on the piano nobile (first floor) where a French window lies centrally. The single lancet window, sustained by brackets, opens on a wrought iron railing balcony and is surrounded by pilasters topped by a triangular tympanum. The salon of the villa has fresco decorations with architectural views, the grand staircase has armorial bearings and floral ornaments decorate the ceilings. The chambers are equipped with period furniture and every chamber has terrazzo paving in different colors and patterns. The grand Custoza stone staircase is embellished by frescoed walls and a precious wrought iron railing with a walnut handrail.
The ceiling shows a painting of Italy personified by a woman who, having broken the chains subjugating it to the Augsburg eagle, raises the Italian flag with the symbol of the house of Savoy.
On the western wall of the salon nobile a fresco shows the ruins of a basilica with a statue of Dante Alighieri in the foreground, the same as in Padova in Prato della Valle square, underneath the Loggia Amulea palace, sculpted in 1865 by Vincenzo Vela (1820-1891), native of Ticino. The painting is therefore attributable to Vela himself, who worked intensively in Veneto, particularly in Padova.
The barchessa, joint to the manor, is characterized by wide round arches on pillars, decorated by rusticated cornice on the portico; the pillars are also the base of the pilasters, which reach up to the eaves. The beauty of the villa is enhanced by a lawn garden, embroidered by colourful flower beds within a park of ancient trees providing comfort, even during the warmest days. A thick kiwi pergola separates the portico from the wide ancient barnyard. Water lilies adorn a little lake, surrounded by a cane thicket, trees and bushes, and fed by a fountain enhancing the beauty of the nature.
Villa Todesco history The existence of the palace is documented in the 17th century as a rural estate, divided in a residential part and in a rural part. The first cartographic documents testifying the presence of the building in the road date back to the following century.A squire from Motovun, Andrea Tom(m)asini, was the first attested owner of the estate. He came from a citadel in the heart of Istria, magnificently standing on a hill still today, and arrived in Villa del Conte after marrying an heiress from Camposampiero. The historical period is the one between the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th, when the Venetian Republic was breathing its last breath as it had just been ceded to Austria by Napoleon. Tommasini’s fortune turned, too: he died prematurely, leaving his estate to his three daughters and his wife, who soon remarried. Due to legal disputes, the villa was soon acquired by the Zara family, the richest in the area, and with Paolo it even succeeded in purchasing the 15th century Villa Dolfin, not far away. During this time, architectural transformation of the estate begins, sometimes with changes of structural features. They increase the difficulty of determining the exact period of each passage, due to the inconsistency of the documents. What matters though, is that the modifications which led to the current architectural layout, enhanced by restorations, have enriched the estate with frescoes, pilasters, decorations and terrazzo paving.Thus the building acquired dimensions and proportions of neoclassical spirit, despite the different structure, shown by the rear of the building on the road and the front on the garden and the rural area. Paolo, famous member of the Zara family, was the father, among many, of Leonardo, father of Cavalier Giulio; and from his widow, in January 1937 Doctor Pietro Riccardo Todesco, the first district doctor in Villa del Conte, purchased the estate. In here his wife Caterina Pellizzari gave birth to ten children, the last of which is Ernesto, the current owner.He is given credit for the important recent restoration, without which the estate would have undertaken a path of decline, like a good part of the Italian artistic heritage. He succeeded in basing an economic initiative in a context of history, culture, recovery of values and memories from the past.
Turistic information Villa del Conte: “VILLA COMITIS” is the toponym cited in the 1085 document dealing with a donation of rural lands to the Abbazia (abbey) Benedettina dei Santi Eufemia e Pietro.
Strategically placed along the Tergola river, Villa del Conte was part of the Roman centuriatio. Numerous archaeological finds are witness of Bronze age settlements and of the subsequent Roman Empire. Evidence of the Lombards is noticeable in the architecture of the splendid church of San Massimo (in the hamlet Borghetto) whose building dates back to the 7th- 8th century. In the area two small slabs were found, the first representing a praying Lamb and the second the Lamb carrying the Cross.
The church of Villa del Conte, dedicated to Saint Juliana of Nicomedia, was rebuilt in 1740 in the place where the previous one used to stand. It has a Latin cross plan and an elegant façade decorated with marble statues by Antonio Bonazza, a famous sculptor from Padova. There are five altars in polychrome marble along the nave. The presbytery is decorated with 4 charming paintings. Three important paintings of the painter Nicola Grassi are hung on the ceiling. Among the most charming works, the painting representing Saint Scholastica attributed to Ascanio Spineda (1588-1648), the one representing patron saints Joseph and Juliana amongst angels by Luigi Borromeo (1923) and the one representing Virgin Mary with Saint Francis holding baby Jesus in his arms, attributed to Jacopo di Antonio de Negreto called Palma il Vecchio.
When Padova became part of the Venetian Republic, the area of Villa del Conte, together with Badia di S. Eufemia (now Abbazia Pisani, hamlet of Villa del Conte), became jurisdiction of the podestà of Camposampiero. Many aristocrats of the area were nominated podestà by the Republic of Venice from the 15th century on: Dolfin, Morosini, Camposampiero and others. It favoured the arrival of families in the area, where they built their summer estates.
Villa Dolfin – Zara – Zantomio – Frasson, one of the most ancient in the area, presenting remarkable exterior frescoes of the 16th century.
Villa Morosini – Venier – Serego Alighieri - Carlon, registered in 1509. The Morosini family bought vast lands in Villa del Conte since the 15th century.
Villa Tomasini –Zara – Todesco. The villa is likely to date back to the 17th century, with precious terrazzo paving and a fresco in the main salon, attributed to the sculptor Vincenzo Vela (1865) native of Ticino.
BORGORICCO: G. B. CANAL CALLED CANALETTO, VILLA BRESSANIN, STRAELLE ORATORY, S. NICOLÒ CHURCH.
CAMPODARSEGO: VILLA MATTIAZZO – GELMI, VILLA MARCELLO, S. GREGORIO BARBARIGO.
CAMPOSAMPIERO: WALNUT TREE SANCTUARY, CLOCK TOWER, BONIFACIO PITALI, VILLA QUERINI.
CITTADELLA: CATHEDRAL, TORRESINO CHURCH, S. FRANCESCO MONASTERY, PIEVE DI S. DONATO, CIVIC MUSEUM TORRE DI MALTA, MEDIEVAL WALLS, THEATER AND MORE.
LOREGGIA: VILLA POLCASTRO – WOLLEMBORG, VILLA RANA.
MASSANZAGO: GIAMBATTISTA TIEPOLO, LUCA CARLEVARIJS, VILLA BAGLIONI.
PIAZZOLA SUL BRENTA: VILLA CONTARINI.
PIOMBINO DESE: G.B. CROSATO, VILLA MARCELLO,VILLA CORNARO, ANDREA PALLADIO.
S. GIORGIO DELLE PERTICHE: JACOPO NEGRETTI CALLED PALMA IL GIOVANE, VILLA PUGNALIN.
S. GIUSTINA IN COLLE: VILLA MOROSINI, ANDREA DA CONEGLIANO, S. GIUSTINA , 8TH STATION OF THE VIA CRUCIS.
TREBASELEGHE: ANDREA DA MURANO, PALMA IL GIOVANE, PIETRO DAMINI, VILLA BASADONNA – TOME’ – GAL.
VILLANOVA DI CAMPOSAMPIERO.: VILLA RUZZINI, ANTONIO VASSILACCHI..